Ricotta Gnocchi Al Pomodoro
Created By Chef Dale MacKay
|can 398 mL HUNT’S Heirloom Whole Tomatoes
|cup olive oil
|cup onion, finely diced
|tsp garlic, minced
|tsp chili flakes
|cup Parmesan Cheese, finely grated
|cup CO-OP GOLD All Purpose Flour
|large CO-OP GOLD Egg Yolks
|Tbsp fresh basil, torn
|Tbsp Parmesan Cheese, finely grated
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Add tomatoes to a blender and pulse for a few seconds until just broken up. Place a wide-bottom sauce pot on medium heat and add olive oil and onion. Allow to cook for about 3 minutes, ensuring onions do not brown. Add garlic, chili flakes and salt and cook for another 2 minutes. Add blitzed tomatoes to the pot. Cook for about 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally. Cook out the extra liquid from the tomatoes to allow the sauce to thicken and is reduced by about half. Keep warm until gnocchi are ready.
- In a bowl or on a floured surface, mix all gnocchi ingredients by hand or with a spoon until the dough forms a nice ball. Avoid overworking the dough.
- Place dough on a lightly floured work surface and cut the dough into quarters. Roll each of the quarters into “ropes” about 3/4 inch in diameter, then cut into ½ inch pieces. Place on a floured baking tray once cut.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Drop gnocchi in and cook for 4- 5 minutes until it floats and cook for 1 more minute. Remove with a slotted spoon and add to tomato sauce. Plate gnocchi and garnish with basil and parmesan. Enjoy!
- If enjoying gnocchi later, place on a tray with olive oil and let cool.