Bourbon french toast bush pie
|½||cup whole milk|
|⅛||teaspoon nutmeg, ground|
|¼||teaspoon cinnamon, ground|
|⅔||cup ricotta cheese|
|1||cup fresh blueberries|
|1||cup maple syrup|
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- For this recipe, it's best to use older buns or to let them dry out on the counter overnight so the batter can be absorbed.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and bourbon.
- Make a small slice on the side of each bun to allow the mixture to soak in. Place each bun into egg mix one at a time, and soak well.
- When all buns have been soaked in egg mix, place into a container, being careful not to rip the bread. Pour extra mix over the buns and cover. Store in the fridge or cooler for at least 12 hours, or up to 24 hours. If possible, turn the buns halfway through marinating.
- Lightly butter bush pie pans. Add one bun to each and close.
- Place pan about two inches above hot coals on campfire for about five minutes on each side or until dark golden brown. After both sides are browned, place about six to eight inches from coals for another 20 minutes to make sure it's fully cooked through.
- Carefully remove French toast from the pan. Split ricotta, blueberries and syrup between the buns and serve warm.